Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Bayou Wars 2018- Game 3 Timurids vs. Medieval Germans




Game 3-Timurids vs Medieval Germans of Brett Stiefel

2 games and 2 defeats.  Pretty much what I anticipated.  And, as lady luck would have it, my 3rd round draw was against another very good player from the Gulf Coast, Brett Stiefel.  Brett is a mathematics professor at a local college.  So, no calculators needed for him.  He told me most of his students go on to medical school.  Geesh, that part of my brain never matured.  Algebra and Geometry fried my brain more than the adult beverages in college.  Brett, again, was helpful, but in this game, we had 2 observers [not from the UN].  2 of the convention attendee's were interested in the rules, and so asked questions throughout, as they watched from the sidelines.   This may have thrown Brett off a bit, since I managed to pull out my first ADLG win, and first tourney win [since the days of Armati 2 at Historicon].

Brett played Medieval Germans List #227.  He fielded Heavy knights, spearmen, crossbowmen, and other support troops.

I was allowed to reconfigure my list if I wanted to, and based on Tom's feedback from the game before, I moved all the Heavy Cav, Bow, Impact, Elite to one command.  So my elite cavalry command had 4 HC, Bow, Impact, elite and 2 LC Turkomen, bow, elite.

The Timurids win the initiative and decide to attack in the plains.


My elite cavalry command was deployed on my left.  The goal was to smash Brett's right flank command and threaten the heavy spear block that he fielded in his center.


My center command was my skirmish command.  I anticipated that Brett might deploy his infantry in the center, so I countered that with my Judy skirmish command.  Plus, we ended up with a wooded hill in the center of the deployment area, so there was that too,



My elephant smash command was placed on my right flank this game.  My plan was to counter Brett's advantage in heavy knights with my elephants. I had hoped that putting this command on one of the flanks, I might be able to get favorable matchups.


I was able to have some success on this flank, and the Persians caught some cavalry trying to evade away. 2 Units of nobles have broken off and are trying to threaten the flank of the spear/Xbow block in Brett's center command.


The elephant command is taking aim at some German panzers, while my Georgian and Turkoman lighter cavalry units try to grab a flank.


The Persian left is doing some damage to the German right, while my center skirmish command is tying up the spear/Xbow central German command.


The elephant command goes in and blows are traded on both sides.  Also, the Turkoman LC race for the unguarded camp of the Germans.  I swung the Georgian MC around on the flank of the knights.


My Nobles are about to get flanked, but they have done their damage, and will have to fight their way out of this.


The German right flank vaporizes from the elephant charge and flanking action. The German camp falls, but not without loss on the Timurid side.


End game.  With the German camp falling and the German left flank melting away from the elephant command, I was basically able to execute my pre-game strategy of enveloping the flanks, and skirmishing the German center command.

Final score was:
Timurid-16/19
Medieval German-22/22

Woohoo.........my first victory.  The lessons learned in the first two games helped.  I wish I would have been able to take more pictures, but as I get more comfortable with the rules, I will probably be able to take more pics, and not spend so much brain power on trying to remember factors/matchups, and other rule nuances.

4 comments:

  1. Nice looking blog post. I played Timurids last year with mixed results. With bow as your main weapon, it is hard to force a conclusion in 2.5 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil. Yes, I agree. My 4th game [yet to be posted here], ended up in a draw. My opponent went for max terrain, and basically turtled up. Spent most of his pips on rallying. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb painting, could be forgiven for taking the figures to be 28mm. Are the foot from Essex? Where did you get the elephants from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Yes, foot are Essex, and I believe the elephants are as well. I was holding out for the new Khurrasan miniatures Timurid elephants, but they have not been released yet. I think they are Essex from the Delhi Sultanate range.

    ReplyDelete