Search This Blog

Monday, July 2, 2018

Bayou Wars June 2018


ADLG has been around for a decade, but is now, and has been for a few years, the dominant tourney rules used in the UK, US, and continental Europe.  Those veterans of DBM, will be comfortable with these rules.  It has some flavor of FoG [Field of Glory], and even Armati.  

I wanted to start gaming again, and most of my local gaming groups are playing FoW [Flames of War], or Star Wars Armada, or other things that just don't trip my trigger.  So, I decided to make a trek to the Gulf Coast and meet the groups that make up the Gulf Coast gaming community.  Gamers from Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama primarily.  I took the family down, and we made a long weekend it of.  It was great fun.

I have not played a game against an opponent, before this tourney.  So, this was my first games in my first tournament action.  The tournament was run by Ricky Jones.  Super guys as were all the others that I met.  They made me feel welcome, and helped me along.  They did not play the games for me, but rather allowed me to make the boneheaded moves.  But, they were gracious in explaining the nuances, and tactics as we went along.  Much appreciated that. They were a great group of guys, and I plan on attending another Gulf Coast event soon.

This was a 200 pt 15mm Open event.  I decided to take the Timurid army [Tamerlane], because originally I had planned on going to a tournament in Birmingham in April.  Due to some scheduling issues, I was unable to attend.  That tournament started out to be any army list that could field a minimum of 2 elephants.  I had a Mongol army already, and purchased some newly minted Khurrasan miniatures Timurids.  I could field 2 elephant units, so earlier in the year, I decided to finish up the Timurids and get them into action.  Many thanks to Phil Gardocki [Phil on Ancients blogspot], who also had a Timurid army, albeit in 28mm and configured slightly differently.  He assisted me in a bit of list design and tactics.  This new blog is in large part due to the inspiration I got from Phil and Tim Porter [madaxeman]. 


My OOB for the Timurids:
 My strategy was to use one command to try and skirmish my opponents strongest command, and attack the weaker parts of the opposition with my elephant comnand and strong elite cavalry command.  The best strategy does not survive first contact though! 😕


No comments:

Post a Comment